05.02.07

Dementia and Alzheimers Care Facilities

Posted in Assisted Living at 6:55 pm by admin

Home VS. A Home

Getting care for your parents or grandparents can be one of the most stressful decisions in life but it doesn’t have to be.

Dementia and Alzheimer’s attacks a persons memory and decision making process. These are just 2 diseases that effect the elderly. Seeing a parent or a loved one go through this is difficult. Finding the right care for them shouldn’t be. There are many options out there. Unfortunately a lot of them are not good options. Having a sitter or a nurse provide care at home seems ideal and could be. But there are many things that a nursing home or an assisted living community provides that you can’t get anywhere else. For an example activities such as Bingo, Domino’s, and Bridge. Also being around other elderly people that can relate to them. A downside to these facilities is the negligence and abuse that is reported or in most cases not reported. No one wants a loved one to be neglected or abused. It is important to notice if a facility has cases of negligence and abuse before placing your parent there. A few things to look for are:

Response times to emergencies:

1. Most facilities have an emergency button or string to pull in case of an accident or fall. The staff should provide you with an average response time to these calls. (worst case scenario would be if there was a fall and the care staff didn’t react quick enough resulting in the resident being in pain on the floor with a broken hip and trying to get up on there own without assistance resulting in another fall or moving a bone out of place or even dying). Also discuss with the staff what the procedure is in case of a fall or other emergencies. Whether they call 911 every time there is a fall. Whether they contact you first or not. Whether every emergency and fall is documented and reported. A lot of times there is no visible bruises or brakes after a fall but a few days later a knee might swell up or a bone might be broken and more medical attention is needed because it wasn’t properly dealt with at the time of the incident.

Lifeline Button

Cleanliness and staffing:

1. Some facilities might look clean but they smell so bad. Yes the residents have accidents and that produces an awful scent. But that should be taken care of in a short amount of time (2hours max). That shouldn’t cause the whole facility to wreak of a foul smell. Bedding should be washed immediately and not balled up into a dirty hamper in the corner of the room(believe it or not this happens a lot). Ask the nursing staff how often they do incontinent checks and showers. Also ask what is the ratio of care attendants to residents. The brochure might say one thing but the reality might be as little as half that amount of care staff. Look around the facility some and see how many workers you see. Listen and watch the way they treat the residents there. Does it seem like they treat them with respect?

Some positive things about a nursing home or assisted living community to look for are:

Activities and Fellowship:

1. There are so many ways to engage life during the later years of life. There are things to do within the community (games, exercise, knitting, etc) and some places have beauty/barber shops located within the community. But there are also many different outings (picnics, shopping, casinos, sports games, etc.) Ask the activity manager for a list of activities and a number of residents that usually attend. A positive thing about a home is that there are many other elderly people to relate to and fellowship with at meal times and activities.

Senior Living Fun

Safe and Secure:

1. Most homes are gated and/or have security devices at the doors in case a resident may wander the staff would be aware. There are many fire safety hazards put in place that if there is even a hint of smoke it will set off the alarm.

Meals:

2. No need to cook anymore! Meals are provided. Check the menus to see how many choices are presented and if they serve any of your favorites. Maybe ask the chef if you and your parent can eat there for a meal.

Getting care at home can be a lot cheaper than going to a home. Some negative things about care at home:

1. Your property could be in jeopardy. The last thing you want is a thief in your home. The possibility of this happening is pretty slim as they would be jeopardizing their job and or going to jail. A stranger in your home might be a little weird at first. Trust is built through time.
  2. Scheduling days off can be complicated. There needs to be a back up when the care attendant/nurse is sick or needs time off.

Some positive things about getting care at home:

1. There is a more quality relationship built because he/she is just caring for your parent. His/her attention is not divided and the worker usually will be more patient because he/she doesn’t have to rush to another resident to care for.
  2. It is more comfortable to live at home. There is no place like home.
  3. It is cheaper to hire help. It is good to start out with a rate a little lower than what you are willing to pay and give the care attendant/nurse a raise about 2 months into the job.

15 Comments

1. Tom Jensen said,

November 24, 2007 at 10:30 pm

I agree! We need better assisted living facilities. The government just today said they are going to list the worst nursing homes in Texas on their medicaid and medicare websites to shame them. Now if they would only do this for assisted living facilities.

2. Samantha said,

November 26, 2007 at 11:15 am

Would you recommend Garden Estates Assisted Living in Tyler Texas? I am trying to find a place to put my mom and don’t have any unbiased information to use to find out if this place is worth the money.

3. Dave said,

November 26, 2007 at 5:57 pm

I have my dad at Atria Willow Park and he is not treated very well but at the same time he is considered to be somewhat independent as he is in an assisted living and not a nursing home. Nursing Homes are expensive and I would like to keep him here as long as I can but at the same time I don’t like how they treat him sometimes.

4. Kelly said,

November 27, 2007 at 5:24 am

Do you think the Department of Aging will do anything about the bad assisted living facilities out there. Some of them get the equivalent of a slap on the hand when they do some pretty bad stuff to their residents living at these facilities. People treat their animals better then some of the elderly at these places!

5. Brandon said,

November 27, 2007 at 10:16 am

I used to work for a lobbyist for the nursing home industry and I can tell you that many of these places are quite corrupt. Buyer beware! Make sure you do your homework before throwing your loved one into any random cheap nursing home or assisted living facility.

6. Idetrorce said,

December 16, 2007 at 2:03 am

very interesting, but I don’t agree with you
    Idetrorce

7. Fannie Hall said,

May 15, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Hello,

My name is Cyndi Hall and I have a Residential care home type A and B in Cedar Hill , TX per state law pass for 3 clients outside of Dallas and I will like to know what is your referral fee and do you service the Dallas area?

Respectfully,

Cyndi

8. toni reed said,

February 9, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I live in Berkekely Ca. and I, after 10 years of service, need to find an inexpensive place for my mother. Any ideas?

9. Bob said,

April 15, 2009 at 6:58 am

I had my mom at a Sunrise Senior Living, or Sunrise Assisted Living, whatever they call themselves, and she got robbed, abused and under fed.

Be careful and research the facility before you take your loved ones there. I wish I would have googled Sunrise Assited Living first. There’s a lot of terrible complaints about all their facilities.

Be careful

10. Tom said,

January 12, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I don’t have a family member in any kind of assisted care. I am doing a report for my Human Services class and came across your website. I am very impressed and like that you give advice and may even help people locate decent assisted living facilities or care. I agree, people do need to look deeply into a facility or home nurse, whatever the case may be, before deciding what to do with their elderly loved one. They are loved ones and they need the best care possible.

If possible, can you e-mail me ifromation (good and bad) for different assisted care facilities. It doesn’t matter what state they are in, the information may help me with my report.

Tom

11. Joe L. Ogan said,

October 13, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Is there no control about when an Assisted Loving Place may raise the price for living in one of their places? If one is being overcharged, how can one tell and to whom can one make a complaint?

12. Joe L. Ogan said,

October 13, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Does the state offer any real control over Assisted Living places? To who may one make a complaint ?

13. admin said,

October 13, 2010 at 3:49 pm

In Texas you might find help from this group: http://www.dads.state.tx.us/news_info/ombudsman/

14. Diane said,

July 12, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I think assisted living homes need better rules to go buy. they allways say they have proper staffing and usally do not, There not thinking of care of the people there thinking budget and thats fine but when u cut te\the residents suffer from not enough care,

15. N Gray said,

January 13, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Hi to all that are concern for thier loved one, when placed in an nursing home or even some assisted living homes. I am a owner/operator of an assisted living home for six years.
    I don’t know how other facilities care for thier loved ones that are left under thier care, but when I run my facility I treated all my resident with respect and dignity.
    I was very sadden when I had to close because the home that I build and thought was going to be my home and the family members of others had to close because the association felt it was not good to have elderly people within thier grated community; you know what I built it there because the people were 55-100 and would need my care, they would not have to give up the surrounding that they were so use too.
    My heart breaks now that I no longer have the money to build a facility to care for people with Alzhiemers and dementia at this time. I am looking in the Prescott AZ area at this time to see if I can afford to lease a home, but then I worry that the owner could asks me to leave, what would happen to the loved ones in my home?
    These two disease are very hard on family members, they don’t understand what is happening to thier loved ones, I know I have a mother who is now experiencing second stage dementia, God love her she is so lost within herself, believe me it hits hard when it is your own mother, but I always keep in mind no matter who’s loved one is suffering with this disease it always hard when the communication is lost betweem mom, dad, brother, sister it all hurts the same.
    I had to close my home for a little while not only because of funds, but I have an child that needed my care and has been with me since she was five years old, she come from a pretty bad situation and myself and my husband felt it best to give her the time to feel safe and secure.
    She now states I am going to be a caregiver like you Mom and she smiles so big, she has so much love in her heart and sole. she would make a very good caregiver when she grows up.
    If you have any question regarding a place in the future and I have a up and running home with the help of God to see me once again helping others; you can contact me at grybaby3@aol.com
    By for now and hope your loved one are safe.